Despite the odd misled anti-Youthstream advocate and unfair negative opinions of the British GP, the reality is that the British GP at Matterley Basin is the best GP of the year to attend. With multiple events on track over four days, the British motocross GP has never had it so good.
So here are five reasons to get down to Matterley Basin and see the best riders in the world in action.
- The Brits! After Tommy Searle’s memorable win last year he will want to repeat in MX1 and get his first ever victory in that class. Shaun Simpson is also on bang on form and with a good start could do some damage. In MX2 Anstie, Nicholls, Pocock and EBB as well as new boy Nathan Watson have all the potential to get some top results. A podium in MX2 for the Brits is not out of the question and, if Herlings isn’t riding combined with some patriotic support, you never know what could happen!
- The youth! It’s your chance to see the stars of the future including our newly crowned 85cc World Champion Conrad Mewse who will be looking to win the EMX85 overall in front of the home crowd. Last year’s European 85 champ Davy Pootjes and World Champ Brian Hsu both showed in Belgium at the weekend that they have finally adapted to the EMX125 class but the man to beat there is Pauls Jonass. The 125 World champion has shown tremendous speed and will be the one to beat as well one to watch next season. With over 80 riders entered for the EMX125 class and over 90 for the insane EMX250 class, even the qualifying heats will be tight racing!
- Four days of racing! It’s the biggest race in the world. With racing from amateurs to Women’s GP, European racing from 65 to 250f plus the MX2 and MX1 classes there is something for everyone over all four days. And it is only at the British GP that you can see all the classes converge to one location for a weekend of world class racing.
- Antonio Cairoli! The current king of GP racing could well be crowned with his seventh World title in the UK. This will make him the second most successful rider ever in the sport and to see him make history in the UK is well worth attending just to say, “I was there”. Cairoli is a living legend in the sport so every time you have a chance to see him in action is worth it.
- The track! It is one of the best tracks on the calendar and now has the history of great racing to enter the stakes of legendary. It also provides superb viewing from any location where you won’t miss a minute of the on track action. You can also get close enough to hang over the fences to cheer on your favourite rider and help make the usual electric atmosphere that every British GP is known for!
Article and Picture by Jonathan McCready