Report: Apico Husqvarna

Whatley withdraws.

Whatley withdraws.

Apico Husqvarna arrived at Canada Heights in Kent in high spirits for the third round of the Maxxis ACU British Motocross Championship, after recent strong results for the team. The dry weather leading up to the event meant the track was very firm, but the organisers had watered the surface well to create perfect conditions.

In the morning qualifying session, Kristian Whatley continued his recent good results to post the fourth-fastest time. Jamie Law also posted a strong time to finish ninth fastest, while Matt Burrows suffered a bad lap time and finished twenty-first fastest with some work to do in the races.

After the lunch break, the gate dropped for the opening MX1 race of the day. Whatley made a good start inside the top ten and was quickly working his way forward. Teammates Law and Burrows didn’t make great starts, but soon moved forward. At the halfway point Whatley was into fifth place and challenging for fourth, when he crashed heavily off one of the jumps and into the trackside fencing. ‘227' was, unfortunately, badly injured, so the race was stopped to allow the medics to treat him. He was taken to hospital with a suspected broken femur. The result was declared, giving Law eighth and Burrows twenty-first after losing positions due to the count back.

Following the injury to Whatley, the spirit within the team was down prior to the second moto. This time Jamie Law was pushing for another top-ten finish and crossed the line in ninth, which gave him eighth overall on the day. Burrows made a better start in the second moto and rode a strong race to finish twelfth and take fifteenth overall.

After being checked at the hospital, the news regarding Whatley’s condition was that he sustained a broken femur and had a successful operation on Monday morning. He will now begin the long recovery process.

Jamie Law: "Today was an average day. You just know when you gel with a track and today I didn’t. I’m happy enough with my results of eighth and ninth. Mainly I’m happy to be going home healthy, as the track has claimed a few people today. A big get well soon to Kristian and the other riders hurt."

Matt Burrows: "The day started badly, with a bad lap time in qualifying. Then in the first race I had a bad start and made three passes on the lap it was red-flagged for Kristian, so I lost out on the count back and ended twenty-first. In the second race, I got an okay start and didn’t really progress and finished in twelfth for fifteenth overall. It’s been a tough day and I'll build for the next round at Hawkstone."

Sean Burrows (Team Manager): "Today has been a rough day for the team. Kristian was looking good on track and has been going well lately, then had a big crash in the opening race and has gone to the hospital with a broken femur. We went to wish him all the best and a massive get well soon. For Jamie it has been a good day with two top tens and Matt had a good second race result."

Words: Press Release | Lead Image: ImageRich

Best Of