All‑new from the ground up, the YZ450F incorporates electric start, exclusive smartphone app power tuner, new engine, new frame, new slim styling and revised settings to the already industry‑best suspension.
– All-new machine for 2018: With an all-new engine, new frame, new bodywork and more, the 2018 YZ450F is ready to take the 450F class to a whole new level. Pick your view for 2018: behind the handlebar of YZ450F or well behind the rear fender.
– All-new power tuner app: Yamaha breaks new ground with the new power tuner app, putting the flexibility and precision tunability of the GYTR Power Tuner into your smartphone. Make fueling and ignition timing changes instantly and upload them to the bike via the onboard WiFi system for the ultimate in track-side tuning.
– Electric starter system: Utilising a compact starter motor and ultra-lightweight lithium battery, the YZ450F brings the convenience of push-button starting to the racetrack for effortless restarts under pressure and relaxed riding when the clock isn’t ticking.
– New engine: An updated cylinder head, piston, cam profiles, cylinder geometry and much more work together to give YZ450F riders the best balance of open-class power with controllability.
– New frame: Yamaha’s bilateral beam frame features new main spars, engine mounts and engine mounting position to further centralize mass and provide an ideal balance between cornering feel and straight-line rigidity.
– Class-leading suspension: Yamaha continues to use spring-type forks with refined, speed-sensitive damping to give industry-leading suspension performance straight out of the box. 2018 brings updated settings to match the updated frame and engine layout.
– Revised Engine Design: For 2018, the distinct rearward-slanted cylinder design – complete with rear exhaust and forward-mounted intake system – has been completely updated for 2018. The all-new cylinder head is lighter and is now angled more vertically, to work with the updated frame, for optimized front weight distribution. Inside, the engine features a longer, straighter intake tract, more aggressive cam profiles, a new crankshaft, a stronger, higher-compression “box bridge" piston design with DLC-coated piston pin, and more. Together, these updates give the rider an ideal balance of open-class power with exceptional controllability.
– New power tuner app: Breaking new ground in the industry – again – Yamaha introduces the new Power Tuner app, which brings the power of the GYTR Power Tuner to your iOS® or Android® device. Using WiFi to connect to the bike’s onboard CAN-bus network, the app allows owners to adjust air/fuel mixture and ignition timing maps to tune engine performance for track conditions, record race log information, and monitor a range of data such as maintenance and system diagnosis, engine run time, and more.
– New electric starter system: The 2018 YZ450F now features a compact electric starter system to minimize restart delays on track and add convenience everywhere else. Powered by a high-capacity and ultra-lightweight four-cell lithium-ion battery, the system adds minimal weight.
– Launch control system (LCS): LCS optimizes engine output for quicker, smoother race starts every time, boosting controllability out of the gate and ensuring the rider has the best chance to get the holeshot and lead the competition into the first turn.
– Advanced fuel injection: The engine breathes through a new 44mm Mikuni® throttle body fed by a high pressure electric pump to ensure optimum fuel atomization and power for a wide range of riding conditions. The more compact throttle body is 12 percent lighter than the previous unit as well.
– Larger radiators: Updated radiators are larger and angled more directly in the incoming air stream, for improved cooling under the most demanding race conditions.
– Updated transmission and clutch: Revised gears with a wider surface area, updated clutch plates and a stiffer outer pressure plate all combine to boost durability. The shift lever and shift selector drum are also updated for 2018, to improve shift feel with a shorter, more direct stroke when changing gears.
– Wraparound rear-positioned exhaust: The innovative exhaust pipe design improves mass centralization and improves power development, with revised geometry for 2018. This layout moves the rear end of the exhaust pipe farther forward and enables a muffler position close to the center of the mass.
– New aluminium frame: The 2018 YZ450F compact frame is completely new to further refine the instinctive handling that makes this Yamaha one of the best handling machines in the class. Larger upper frame bracing improves rigidity and durability, while wider rear frame spars and all-new engine mounts centralize mass for the best possible balance of bump absorption, stiffness and feeling of grip.
– New Compact Body and Seat Design: The new YZ450F features new bodywork from tip to tail, including a new compact fuel tank specifically designed for motocross demands. In addition to shaving weight, the new body design is narrow for more comfortable knee grip and feeling of control, and the seat is updated to give the rider additional room to move aboard the machine.
– Class-leading suspension: Industry-leading, fully adjustable KYB coil spring-type fork with speed sensitive damping provides exceptional balance between handling and bump absorption, for race-winning handling performance. The linkage type rear suspension features a KYB shock with revised damping characteristics to match the revised chassis. 2018 features updated internal valving for more controlled damping characteristics.
– 270mm front brake: Large 270mm front disc brake coupled with aggressive pad material offers outstanding braking performance and machine control, with exceptional stopping power and controllability. Out back, a new, more heat-resistant rear rotor boosts brake durability.
– Lighter wheels: Careful computer-aided refinement of the each wheel’s cross-sectional profile shaves valuable weight without sacrificing durability.
– Adjustable handlebar mounts: The 4-position adjustable handlebar mounts are rubber mounted to improve comfort and reduce handlebar vibration, while the handlebar itself is lighter to centralize overall mass.
– Embedded graphics: Yamaha’s unique embedded graphics are built into the bodywork for extended durability, resisting both peeling and damage, with all new styling for 2018.
– Race winning details: The YZ450F includes top-spec details, including 1-1/8" aluminum tapered handlebars, wide 55mm footpegs, a quick-adjust clutch perch, stylish blue rims and gold chain.
Words: Press Release | Lead Image: Yamaha Motor USA